Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Picky Eater!!!

I think my child is one of the most pickiest 1 year olds...It is soo hard to find foods that he likes. For instance, he will not eat any fresh cut up fruits, or canned fruit. I can occasionally get him to eat a couple bites of applesauce, but that is all. Now, for meats...he will only eat chicken if it is a tyson chicken nugget, or my buffalo chicken (which give him the runs). Grilled chicken is totally out. He will not eat fish or red meat. He does like hot dogs though..I just buy the healthier kind. He will sometimes eat waffles, nutri-grain bars, and other bread products, but it is totally random. Now here is what he will always eat or drink: milk, ice cream, yogurt, mac-and-chesse,fries, and any type of vegetable. Oh, and chocolate. He loves it, but I rarely give it to him.

Now, how in the world is he going to get all the nutrition that he needs when he won't eat alot of the healthy stuff I give him. I need to quit stressing about this, but it makes me crazy, and meal-times are not a fun experience right now. I am just praying that he will grow out of this.

I welcome any advice! Sorry I had to vent, but I was to the point of tears today when I could not get him to eat until 11:30 am.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

When Lucy and Rachel were one year olds they only drank milk and would sometimes eat Uncle ben's Country Inn groccoli rice au gratin. And sometimes mac and cheese. But gallons and gallons of milk. THey eat great now.

Gretchen was picky picky as a kid, so was Blake.

Anonymous said...

What he will eat doesn't sound bad, so don't worry so much! Kaitlyn was picky too, so I would just give her a little bit of everything to try. I tried to never make a big deal about anything new. She would usually just try it because it was there and decide on her own that she liked it. The biggest problem I had with her was sometimes she would want to eat non-stop and other times she wouldn't eat anything. I talked to her Dr. about it and he said it was normal and just let her eat when she wants to because they have different metabolisms then we do. I know its frustrating but relax! He will eat it eventually. You're doing a good job!!

gretchen said...

It is so hard when you have a picky eater..I am still a little picky but I at least eat veggies now. It was so hard when Blake was one. No variety. ...but some how it works out. He survived and he is my best eater by far now! He will try everything and usually a lot of it!
Don't worry about fruit so much as veggies. You can sneak veggies in everything...hence all these new books that have recently been published to help us moms with picky eaters. Like butternut squash inside mac. and cheese. We'll talk some time and I will tell you all my sneaky tricks. My kids now read the blogs so I better not put any thing else!!!
I miss that little man!

Erika said...

Eating is a big issue in our house. My 3 year old STILL has issues and the only thing I can count on her eating regularly is milk. Chicken nuggets and cereal are becoming more of a stable thing. I also can't get her to eat fruit (except for frozen blueberries). Since she is gaining weight, the Dr. isn't worried. My 1 year old isn't gaining weight, but she is not NEARLY as picky. She'll eat almost anything I throw in front of her which is sooo different from her sister! But the Dr. is worried about her lack of weight gain so I have to see a nutritionist about her! Anyway, try to not to stress too much about it. I KNOW how hard it is to try to not to. We've been dealing with it for years.

Try not to force things on him b/c it'll make him push back and not want to eat even more. Try giving him what he will eat first and putting something that you want him to eat in front of him at the same time and see if he goes for it. It helps if you sit and eat with him and he sees you eating it. Sometimes he'll come around, other times he won't.

It's taken a long time for our 3 year old to recognize that when her tummy hurts, eating will make it feel better. She is FINALLY starting to tell me that she wants FOOD and that her tummy hurts. It's been a long, stressful road.

tiki_lady said...

He is behaving like a normal one year old. All babies go through their finicky stages. Just keep offering him the same things that you normally eat and each time he refuses, he refuses. One day he may try it and love it or he may try it and hate it. He is growing bones. He loves milk and yogurt so you are 90% there. Maybe, he doesn't care for the texture of fruit. Try it frozen. Get a chopper or a blender or add his fruit to a homemade smoothie. There is less sugar and calories in that. I think you really do not have anything to worry about you. It will come in Ethan's time.